Front Matter Headless CMS running in VS Code that helps managing your static sites and Markdown based sites. Supports Hugo, Jekyll, Docusaurus, NextJs, Gatsby, and more.
Front Matter is a CMS that runs within Visual Studio Code. It gives you the power and control of a full-blown CMS while also providing you the flexibility and speed of the static site generator of your choice. Jump right into editing and creating content with Front Matter and be able to preview it straight in VS Code.
A CMS that loves any static-site generator
and many more...
Pick your generator and start managing your static site in minutes
Bringing the CMS to your editor
Why would you leave your editor when you can perform all tasks straight from within it?
We at Front Matter believe that you should keep using what you like. For us, this is Visual Studio Code. Use the same editor you use to code, but with unique features to make it suitable for writing and managing your Markdown articles.Get started
Managing your media was never easier
Quickly glance all your media files straight from within VS Code, or insert media into your content. We got your back with our media dashboard. You will be able to filter by your content folders and perform quick media actions.See what it can do
Check out our main features which help you manage your static-site
100% secure CMS
- A Content Management System built to run within Visual Studio Code. You do not require an account or any dependencies on a website or API, so you do not have to be afraid of DDoS attacks. Write wherever you are, even when you are offline. Commit your changes when you are online.
- A Content Management System wouldn't be a CMS if you cannot define your type of content to use. Front Matter provides a default content mapping, but you can extend it or change it to your needs. It is your content, and Front Matter will change its behavior to your needs.
Full site/page preview
- Allow showing your site and page previews within Visual Studio Code without the need of opening a browser.
Content, media, snippets, and data dashboard
- Our dashboard helps you manage your content, media, snippets, and data files. You can easily filter by your content folders and perform quick actions. We tightly integrate with our editor panel so that you can use it, for example, to insert media files or snippets into your articles.
- Our search engine optimization checks allow you to write better articles. We show you more information about your title, description, content, keywords, and more.
Use it the way you want it
- All of the functionalities are configurable to your needs. You can define how you want to use Front Matter in your editor experience, but it doesn't stop there. If you are missing something or want to automate. We allow you to add your own actions with the custom scripting capability. For instance, you can use a script and hook it up to the extension to generate preview images.
Missing a feature?